15 October 2006

Definition:

"Third Culture Kid"
Originally defined in the 1960's as...
"[A] person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside the parents' culture. The third culture kid builds relationships to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Although elements from each culture are assimilated into the third culture kid's life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of the same background." (Pollock & van Reken, 2001, p. 19)


I seriously feel like that sometimes, and I'm not sure why. I guess it's why everyone seems to think I'm un-American all the time. I don't *feel* American. Not to say I'm unpatriotic, I love America. I just don't know. I feel more...global than anything else. Somewhere between that and feeling completely isolated. Does that make sense? Unfortunately, as far as family goes, I think my sister would be the only one who understands, really. And Tannah, but for slightly different reasons.

No comments: