28 July 2006

A strange invite...and a diagnosis.

I have a yahoo.fr email address, so I'm not sure if that's what targetted me for it, but I got an invitation from the US State Department to enroll in the green card lottery. I know a guy from Romania who won about 6 or 7 years ago and I know it's a real thing. But it certainly wasn't expected. In fact it was a little weird.

Okay:
I'm negative for lupus, which is odd because I'm positive in every aspect for Antiphosolipid Syndrome; specifically, Primary Antiphospholipid Syndrome. The good Dr. Kingsley says that's rare but not unheard of. I've also been having very small strokes, as per the MRI. So I'm not going on a permenant anti-coagulant yet, he wants to re-check my platelet count (they're low) before that but I will definitely need to stay on Folbic and aspirin.

For info:
Antiphospholipid Syndrome (also called "Hughes Syndrome" or APL, APLS, or APS) was discovered relatively recently as being separate from lupus. It's not a clotting disorder in itself, but an autoimmune disorder. Basically, I make an antibody that attacks my platelets and to a larger degree the membranes around my blood cells. It's made more severe by the fact that I don't have lupus, and also because I'm positve for 2 copies each of the PAI-1 4G/4G and ACE D/D mutations, which are clotting problems, and 1 copy each of MTHFR C677T and A1298C, which are less of a problem as far as clotting goes...but a problem nonetheless.

These small strokes are only in the smallest blood vessels of my brain and looking it up, sometimes the only symptoms are sudden and flu-like (headache, nausea, fatigue.) Interesting. As for the mitral valve prolapse, the rest of my heart is so "grossly normal" that its really a non-issue. No meds needed.

No comments: