17 October 2008

Work update.


All 682 modules are in, all jumpers are connected, it's going so well. I'm in the process of getting the home runs where they need to go (about halfway done) and then I'll get to make up the combiner boxes, which are already mounted. Then, the inverter, which is exciting to me. Every day I'm learning so much, my confidence is growing by leaps and bounds...I can honestly say that at this point, I could do this forever. (Watch me eat my words in the beginning of January or mid-July!)

I'm more or less comfortable in commercial installation, as far as I can be so far. I mean, of course every job is different but I see the steps that must be taken and it makes sense. Especially since the structure, being a massive carport, is open. What I think will intimidate me is a residential install. I've made mistakes in commercial construction, like using a holesaw through the wrong wall or crushing a framing stud so badly that it needs to be replaced. Not massive mistakes as far as commercial construction goes...but how do I tell a homeowner I've made such a mistake? That would kill me. Something I really need to think on, and a fear I need to get over if I intend to be involved in future photovoltaic projects.

One thing though...where to after this is turned over to the owner? It's only two weeks away, max, and no one has said anything to me yet. I'm not worried but I'm definitely curious. Some overtime would be nice, but as shaky as employment with construction is, I'll be happy just to remain working.

1 comment:

RebTurtle said...

You know what? Shit happens, as they say. Don't stress over the resi stuff. Either you work closely with a general contractor, who has to take mistakes in stride, you get good at fixing stuff, or you have a list of good contractors to help with repairs & such. Usually it's a mix of the three.

Honesty is usually the best policy with telling homeowners, but there is a rule with home contracting that I learned when I used to install wood flooring;

If you make a mistake, and can fix it before the owner sees it, it was just a mistake. If the owner sees it, it will always be a damaged product, no matter how well you repair it.

So it's better to fix it quickly if possible, but if that's not feasible, just own up to it and make sure that a quality repair is done. Some people will bitch no matter what you do, but most are very forgiving and realistic.