05 August 2007

Sean Penn's visit to Venezuela.


I hear a lot about how so many believe he should be tried as a traitor or that he shouldn't be allowed readmission to the United States for visiting Hugo Chavez, a well-known opposer of American policy. That's a load of bullshit. I'm so sick of fools, blinded by nationalism, doing anything to avoid being labeled an anti-American, afraid of the PATRIOT Act but still endorse it because they think it will somehow keep them safe.

I can't say how I feel about Chavez. I haven't met him, I haven't been to Venezuela, I know little about anything in that sense. But America is used to be a nation known for her freedoms. I love how so-called patriots spin that:

Freedom of speech, so long as it's in my language and I agree with it;
Freedom to bear arms so long as they are mine or belonging to law enforcement;
Freedom of religion so long as it's worshipping my God and encompassing my morals;
Freedom of press so long as it's not offensive to me or against my beliefs...

And on and on and on. I'm about sick of it.

No comments: